That's right folks, I'm growing sprouts. Let me preface this post with saying that since I was a little girl, I've loved sprouts. Mostly alfalfa sprouts that my dad would put on his famous lunchtime sandwiches. As I've grown older I have learned to love bean sprouts as well, and one time while visiting Loren's mom Tessa, I mentioned how much I love sprouts. Tessa being the sweet green thumb that she is, gave me a sprouting tray and some seeds to try out for myself.
Let it be noted now that while I love seeing things grow and enjoy fresh veggies and fruit, I am not the most adept gardener/farmer. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have a black thumb, but I'm just not that great at it yet. I over-water, I under-water, I leave my poor heirloom tomato (singular) to defend itself against blasted tomato worms, and I am just a bad plant-parent. But I have hope with these sprouts.
Step 1 - Soak Seeds
I decided to try alfalfa for the first batch, to get my feet wet and I soaked them for 6.5 hours.
Step 2 - Put Sprouts on Growing Tray
Ok, my sprout seeds are spread and ready for action. Action meaning they were covered up and left on my kitchen counter to grow. I'm supposed to rinse them 2-3 times a day (that's watering, but letting the water drain out), and keep them in a moderately warm place away from direct sunshine.
So I know you're wondering, why the heck am I growing sprouts? Well, besides the fact that I think they're tasty they're also ridiculously good for you. Once I get the hang of sprouting with alfalfa sprouts, I'm gonna move onto a 5-seed salad blend that Tessa gave me. I'm so excited!
I've read a lot about sprouting recently, and it's a great way to get a ton of good nutrients, antioxidants, fiber, etc. I'm a fan of raw food, and while I'm not quite ready to go all-raw or mostly-raw, it just makes sense to me that foods have more nutrients when they're in their raw form. Some of course, need to be cooked to release certain enzymes/nutrients, but for the most part raw is better for you. Less additives, cellular breakdown, etc.
Here's some great places I went for advice:
The best one = The SproutPeople
I'll keep you updated with the progress of my sprouts. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment